Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Are You Shitting Me?

I apologize to our young readers (or our older readers not fond of a potty mouth) for my language. While I am filled with nervous energy and excitement following the amazing historic vote we've witnessed, I am also filled with anger. That tends to seep out into my choice of words. However, in my defense, on a day where Prop8 passed in California I also come across the following petty discourse about Michelle Obama's choice of dress last night.

From the article:

All that said, I think her election-night dress was an odd choice. The cut didn't flatter her figure or work well on camera. The addition of a bolero-like sweater only added to the shapeless silhouette.

It's time to cast your vote. Was the dress a hit or a miss?
You know what? I don't bloody well care what she was wearing. Two of my best friends just had their marriage from last month mocked, thrown under the bus, and right out the window.

Grrr...

UPDATE:
P.S. In case you are wondering how to continue to call attention to this, here are some ideas from my above mentioned friend, "Things to make a difference (if you aren't already doing these things :) Follow NoOnProp8 on Twitter, be a supporter/fan of NoOnProp8 on Facebook, Donate to NCLR (www.nclrights.org) and EQCA (www.eqca.org) since they're funding the lawsuit and continued efforts and they spent most of their money fighting Prop 8".


4 comments:

Not-So-Normal-Mom said...

As a Californian, I am desperately saddened and disheartened by our state's lack of equality and fairness. I have decided to make t-shirts that say "Gay is the New Black," as that seems to be the case. Discrimination in this nation is shifting, not ending. This makes me sad.

habladora said...

Your text that Prop 8 had passed was one of the first things I saw this morning as I ran out the door on the way to a meeting. When I arrived, I immediately started discussing my disappointment with a colleague, who assured me that it was still too close to call and that there was still hope. We were then in meetings all day and it wasn't until I got home that I saw the bad news.

Its a shame - and by that I mean that we should be ashamed of our bigotry and our pettiness. On a day when we have so much to be proud of too, this is a grim reminder of how much still needs to be accomplished before we really realize the promise of equality for all citizens.

Mächtige Maus said...

Sign me up for one of those t-shirts! I look good in blue.

Victory Garden said...

There is a piece up today at the CA NOW blog by Meredith Patterson, "Prop. 8 Postmortem" that breaks down the current challenge to the passage of Prop. 8, the legal background for the challenge, and why it may work to preserve marriage equality in California.