Monday, August 11, 2008

I love Muppets, Part I

As was mentioned in a previous article, the muppets are great. In fact in 1974, Sesame Street addressed the issue of the women's liberation movement with the following video, "Women Can Be". It is voiced, not by the muppet typical men in falsetto, but rather by real women! Marilyn Sokol (of Alice Otter in Emmet Otter's Jug-Band Christmas fame), Carol Hall (a song writer for Sesame Street), Jane Henson, and Rita Moreno provide the voices. It captures female empowerment and the excitement of realizing that you can do anything. I wish more children's programing was this ambitious.

2 comments:

habladora said...

Emmet Otter's Jug Band Christmas?!! I LOVE Emmet Otter's Jug Band Christmas!!!

Anonymous said...

I think that Emmet Otter's Jug Band Christmas captures the true spirit of the holiday and really shows just how special family is.