Wednesday, September 3, 2008

There's No Book Banning in Feminism

Gov. Palin, I was disappointed to read about your attempts to use your mayoral powers to get books banned from the Wasilla Public Library:

Shortly after becoming mayor, former city officials and Wasilla residents said, Ms. Palin approached the town librarian about the possibility of banning some books, though she never followed through and it was unclear which books or passages were in question.

Ann Kilkenny, a Democrat who said she attended every City Council meeting in Ms. Palin’s first year in office, said Ms. Palin brought up the idea of banning some books at one meeting. “They were somehow morally or socially objectionable to her,” Ms. Kilkenny said.

The librarian, Mary Ellen Emmons, pledged to “resist all efforts at censorship,” Ms. Kilkenny recalled. Ms. Palin fired Ms. Emmons shortly after taking office but changed course after residents made a strong show of support...

Let me guess, Gov. Palin - you ran on the slogan "We will have our first Christian mayor," so the books you wanted banned were those that talked about evolution or 'teh gays,' right? Perhaps we'll never know the exact titles. Yet, Mrs. Palin, while I will defend you against purly gendered attacks, I'm not voting for you. What's more - I don't like you.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can't say I was surprised to hear this news, considering Palin's other beliefs and policies. Just goes to show that when you think another candidate can't get worse, they can . . .

If Palin actually had other policies I agreed with, this would still turn me away from her completely. As I said on another blog, I was anti-censorship long before I understood about pro-choice debates or feminism or anything.

Also, my mom, who is a librarian, has been completely turned off of republicans now. Okay, she wasn't planning on voting for McCain anyway, but she's pretty much over the entire party now.

lindsay said...

Ugh, that made me most angry! And it seemed to bother some of my friends more than her anti-choice, anti-gay, pro-drilling policies. At least they're seeing how horrible of a VP pick she is!

petpluto said...

The first thing I thought of when I saw the title of this was "There's no crying in baseball!" It brought a smile to my face that was then stripped by learning about Palin's attempted book banning. I wouldn't have ever voted for her anyway (the list of reasons not to is already quite long), but this just tops it off. And I have to say, I don't like her either.

Sungold said...

Palin is the new commander in the culture wars, so I'm not surprised by this news. But boy would I love to see a list of the titles. I'm guessing anything that deals with S-E-X was on the hit list ...

Amelia said...

Ugh disgusting. I don't like her, either. It really does baffle me how people have become so enamored of her and her policies. It sometimes seems like Ray Bradbury helped her come up with these ideas...gross.

Radical Reminders said...

i wish i could see the list of books she wants to ban! If she thinks she has the right (and power?) to ban books as mayor it scares me what she thinks she can ban as VP (read: abortion)

DJ Dual Core said...

The truth is that I WANT to like her.

It isn't going very well.