Yup! Natalie Portman is guest editor of the October edition of Scholastic Math! In this edition of Math:
We uncover the math in Natalie's favorite topics, with commentary from her.Heck, I'd read it. As Zoe from Shameless points out, "It’s always wonderful to see women promoting math and busting up the 'girls are no good at math' stereotype."
- It's almost time to turn the clocks back! Natalie introduces an activity based on standard time and daylight savings time.
- Natalie spends a lot of time promoting the work of FINCA, a group that provides loans to those in extreme poverty so they can start businesses. Students learn how they can help, and make a bar graph of the world's poorest countries.
- In Mr. Magorium's Wonder Emporium, Natalie plays the manager of a magical toy store. In our "Math at Work" career profile, we meet the owner of a real toy store, and get an introduction to profit.
- With Halloween around the corner, we learn about a professor who used the simple math of geometric progression to prove that vampires never existed!
- Surfer Laird Hamilton is one of Natalie's favorite athletes! Students read a tide table, which is an important skill for all surfers.
- Plus: Fast Math, Math Mystery Comix, and a backpage variable activity on Natalie's favorite bands!
Why Portman is wearing an apron, though, no one can say.