Friday, June 13, 2008

Let My Partner Stay


The above video from Current TV emphasizes the real-life problems caused by our refusal to grant same-sex couples equal rights, a refusal that intimately impacts even people's most basic decisions about where to live and work. I'll admit, watching this couple's goodbyes made me cry a little tear.

Hopefully, laws in states like Massachusetts and (starting Monday) California will eventually make life a little easier for the some 35,000 couples that find themselves in the same situation as Brittany and Joanna, who are unable to remain in the United States due to our discriminatory laws against same-sex couples. Of course, the rights of lesbians and gays are actively being opposed nation-wide. In California, some worry that a November ballot initiative that "...would amend the state Constitution to prohibit same-sex unions" could pass, and same-sex couples would again be robbed of their status as equal citizens. Californians, don't let that happen.

UPDATE: Friends of The Feminist Underground Leanne and Moya were recently interviewed by Melissa Block for an NPR piece on California's circuitous path to legalizing gay marriage. The piece will air today (June 13th) on All Things Considered, but anyone can go to the NPR website and listen after 1:00 pm EST!

(thanks, once again, to Ada of Current directing us to this story)

5 comments:

sally said...

That's got to be the most touching thing I've seen in a very long time. I look like a crazy person tearing up at work.

This country is so unfair sometimes.

Anonymous said...

I didn't expect to tear up watching that. I have supported the right to marriage from the very beginning but I never thought about the immigration aspect of the issue until I saw the video. This is just one more reason why it is important that everyone have equal rights.

Mächtige Maus said...

Yippee to Leanne and Moya! I didn't realize that they were going to be the entire NPR piece. My hope is that Agincourt and I can make it to SanFran to be part of the 70-100 people at their official wedding. How exciting and meaningful and thrilling and hopeful.

habladora said...

Congrats, Leanne and Moya! Everyone should go listen (here) to their interview with Melissa Block - and they look good in the photos too!

Queers United said...

im so excited about cali
http://www.queersunited.blogspot.com