Monday, June 16, 2008

Cheers to California!

I might be coming a bit late to the party, but I'd like to join in congratulating California!

Congratulations in particular to Del Martin and Phyllis Lyon, who have been partners more than 50 years, and who this evening became "the first same-sex couple to be legally married in the state," and to friends of the blog Leanne Waldal and Moya Watson. Woooooooooohooooooooo!!!

If you are looking for other ways to celebrate this happy day, Current TV is asking people to share their own coming out stories. In the words of the Current "Outreach Associate" who wrote today to urge me to encourage readers to send them videos so they can put you all on TV, "Finding liberation in coming out should be celebrated and admired. We hope that by sharing your stories, you and your readers will inspire others with the courage to do the same." Oh, and please remember us when you become stars (preferably by hitting that donate button)!

(The photo of Del Martin and Phyllis Lyon was, like so many beautiful things, snagged from Feministe)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wish I had a coming out story. Instead, everyone just presumed I was a lesbian from age 12 or so, and left it at that.
I'd never tell my grandmother though. She's more Catholic than the pope, slightly to the right of Hitler, and as far as she knows, I've been too busy concentrating on my studies to find myself a husband.

I'm a little disappointed I missed the opportunity to jump out of a cake and sing "I'm gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay!", though.

habladora said...

Oh, I'm disappointed too - I very much want to see that! Go ahead, though, and we'll promise to act surprised! ;)

Anonymous said...

Target Women is so funny! Did you know that there is actually one on weddings now? She puts on a wedding dress and pretends to be King Kong.
-m.

habladora said...

I did think about posting the weddings video instead, because it does fit better with the weddings theme. But that one just makes me chortle, while this one makes me laugh until I make embarrassing snorting noises.