Thursday, December 20, 2007

Again The Voice of Reason

Has anyone noticed that I tend to praise Angela Merkel? Perhaps it is my German roots. However, I do find that she tends to put forth reasonable thinking. As her term G8 president draws to a close, she is challenging her successor to take the concept of fair globalization seriously.

I have not had a detailed discussion with my German friend to get a full picture about how the country views Merkel, so perhaps the reviews locally are not as glowing. Be that as it may, I cannot help but be impressed by how she is continually challenging everyone around her instead of simply calling her own shots and assuming that is sufficient.

2 comments:

Casmall said...

The Germans in my Lab like her a lot. Though they don't really talk about her much-they just talk about how polarized the politics is here.

habladora said...

Maus and Merkel sittin' in a tree, K-I-S-S-I-N-G...

Really, though, I'm struck by the difference between our current political environment and that of Europe when I see the leader of the Christian Democratic Union speak about the importance of developed nations reducing their carbon emissions and the need for ethical behavior from economic leaders in the face of globalization. So, not all Christian affiliated parties demand that their candidates deny global warming and remove all social safe-guards for the poor? How odd.

Fun Merkel fact: she is a fellow nerd, having studied physics during her university days.

Not so fun Merkel fact: "Merkel came out in favour of the U.S. invasion of Iraq, describing it as "unavoidable" and accusing Chancellor Gerhard Schröder of anti-Americanism." (via Wikki) Sigh.