Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Keep Up with the Confirmation

For those of you who don't already know, the confirmation hearings for Judge Sonia Sotomayor started yesterday. You can get a rundown of some of the highlights (and lowlights... is that not a word?) here, here and here.

I haven't actually gotten a chance to see the videos from yesterday, but I did check Twitter from time to time to see what people's reactions were. I want to hold my tongue until the hearings are over, but I'll just say that opponents are not wasting any time in getting into the swing of this.

The hearings continue today, and you can catch live coverage online on several sites including Sotomayor for Justice, C-SPAN, CBS News, and ABC News. You can also see how us regular folk are reacting by searching for the #sotomayor hashtag on Twitter.

For those of you who have been keeping up, what do you all think so far? Are there issues you're concerned about or questions you would really like to have raised? Feel free to discuss what you think about Sotomayor, and your feelings on the hearings in general.

1 comment:

Mächtige Maus said...

I wouldn't go so far as to say I have actually been keeping up with the nomination hearings, but I have heard enough snippets here and there to be reminded of why I don't like paying attention to them. I simply don't like the pompous/righteous indignation tone versus the singing angels tone that inevitably surround the questions. And it doesn't matter what side of the political spectrum. One side always likes the person, one side never does and round and round we go.

That said, I don't have a real opinion of Sotomayor, or at least I don't have one based on sound facts. It seems to me that often times as soon as you plop a judge on that Supreme Court bench everything you anticipated about them turns out to be wrong anyway. I will hang my hat on the fact that it is going to be a woman and leave it at that. Because don't you all know that we women have better judgment over men any day of the week. :)

Kidding people, kidding!