Saturday, February 2, 2008

Wal-Mart is Run by Men

It has to be in order to get away with the current pre-Superbowl ad. Have you seen it? I couldn't locate it online, but I am referring to the one where the camera focuses on the kitchen where women are opening bag upon bag and box upon box of supplies all intended to provide the men with sustenance while they watch the Big Game. What makes it worse, if you ask me, is that the women are providing this service with as much glee as the men do when they are watching the game.

I have been beaten to this rant by the following post. So, I am relegated to mere supporter here of the following comment, "The women cook. The men watch football. And the women serve the men." Truly, I have a hard time taking away much else from this commercial. There are a lot of things that burn me up, but nothing tends to do so much quicker than the assumption that women do not appreciate sports. Or, if we do, it is only if it is somehow connected to our preferred sport of serving men in their endeavors.

Give me a break.

As a woman who loves sports, here is what we are going to be doing for the Big Game and Wal-Mart should take note of this. We are going to go to our favorite pub, watch the game, and enjoy the fact that the food we are eating and the beer we are drinking are being served to us by men. In fact, even better...we might leave a feminist magazine on the bar when we leave!

2 comments:

Agincourt said...

The weird thing about that commercial, for me, is that if my life had depended on it, I couldn't have told you WHO or WHAT was being advertised. I just knew 'that annoying commercial about snacks' and women, and wow that is irritating. Nothing else really registers.

So yeah, I sometimes wonder whether the advertisers even understand that in some cases they're not even getting 'name recognition' for their advertising dollars as far as I'm concerned!

Personally, I don't remember the last time I actually step foot in a Walmart, but it's probably been well over a year. And it was probably under duress on a shopping trip with my mother or something. So I guess realizing it was Walmart lines right up with my opinion of them already? I suppose I should be glad it wasn't Krystals. Because both Maus and loves us some Krystals...so I can go right on not going to Walmart for yet another reason. ... yay..?

habladora said...

It is amazing how the advertisers insist on alienating a potential market.