Monday, November 5, 2007

Things I Know, but Don’t Understand: An Incomplete List


Light acts like both a wave and a particle.

Some conservative white men feel disempowered when previously disenfranchised people begin to gain rights, even though the white men haven’t lost anything.

Kids like Chef Boyardee products, but hate dark chocolate. Adults like dark chocolate, but think Chef Boyardee products taste like paste.

Kids like the taste of paste.

Spacetime has wrinkles.

Most Americans think that feminism is something sinister. Most Americans are women.

Americans really did elect George W. Bush to be their president the second time.

If you don’t get enough sleep, you go crazy.

Yawns are pretty contagious.

There are more than one hundred billion (1011) galaxies in the Universe, each containing hundreds of billions of stars.

Arrested Development was canceled after just three seasons because not enough people watched.


Feel free to share your own.

7 comments:

Casmall said...

How can beltway pundits and political analysts still keep their jobs when they are always wrong-wrong-wrong.

habladora said...

Yeah - I thought of including a version of that very idea, something along the lines of:
People keep believing the lies told to them by lying politicians and pundits even after the lies are proven to be... lies.
But really, this issue makes me so mad that I couldn't stay clam enough to clean up the sloppy language.

Mächtige Maus said...

Showtime canceled "Dead Like Me" in favor of Kirstie Alley's "Fat Actress".

habladora said...

When I see Joe Libermann on TV, I want to smack him. When I see Dick Cheney on TV, I want to scream. When I see George W. Bush Jr. on the TV, I don't feel angry - I just want to cry.

habladora said...

Oh - and also:
If you order a Fanta limón in Spain, it is delicious, but if you order a Lemon Fanta in the States it is disgusting.

Mächtige Maus said...

Religious zealots seem to pick and choose to only believe in those portions of the Bible that suit their short-sighted views.

Methinks that comment could get me in trouble if the wrong person reads it.

habladora said...

Don't worry Maus, we've got your back.

This one is from Sarah Vowell's Partly Cloudy Patriot, which I'm reading for the second time:
"When Dolly Parton is in a room, everyone else looks sort of drab" (p. 175).